Close Window X

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering prospective and current clients the ability to meet with us digitally and remotely via telephone, email and through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

We are open for business and accepting new clients. We will be serving our current clients diligently during the Covid-19 situation.

Rowe Law Offices, P.C.
Call today to schedule a free consultation
610-816-0935 866-232-1913

Prison used as incentive to get parents to pay child support

For Pennsylvania parents who are behind on child support, the threat of prison may be used as an effective incentive for people who are able but unwilling to pay. However, there are critics who argue that imprisonment may lead to the risk of debt or unemployment, further increasing a parent's child support balance.

In the event that a parent fails to pay child support, a recent report confirms that authorities are legally able to withhold 65 percent of the parent's paycheck as well as seize bank accounts, deduct owed money from tax refunds and suspend driver's and professional licenses all before imprisonment. Although the numbers vary by state, parents with overdue child support are showing up in the thousands in penitentiaries.

If the custodial parent is on public assistance, that may not change the child support amounts or whether the other parent is obligated to pay. The parent paying child support must pay the required child support amount plus pay back the cost of welfare reimbursement. The cost of one or both of these could hinder the paying parent from having a reasonable income for their own bills, rent, mortgage or everyday living expenses.

Parents who are involved in child support disputes may want to contact an attorney to discuss financial plans, learn what their risks are for paying lesser rates than what the court system has calculated or get an idea of how much child support would cost should the two parents separate or divorce. While child support rates are calculated on an individual basis, parents may be able to get a better idea of how to best work together during child support legal cases.

Source: Madame Noire, "Should men go to jail when they fail to pay child support?," Lauren R.D. Fox, April 20, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have Questions? Get A Free Case Review

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wyomissing Office
1200 Broadcasting Road
Suite 101
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Toll Free: 866-232-1913
Phone: 570-362-6837
Phone: 610-478-7725
Wyomissing Law Office Map

Lancaster Office
8 N. Queen Street
Suite 1102
Lancaster, PA 17602

Phone: 717-382-8360
Lancaster Law Office Map

Allentown Office
1248 Hamilton Street #201
Allentown, PA 18102

Allentown Law Office Map

Berks or Montgomery counties or the Lehigh Valley: 610-816-0935 Lancaster or York counties: 717-382-8360 Schuylkill County: 570-362-6837 Toll Free: 866-232-1913