Close Window X

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering prospective and current clients the ability to meet with us digitally and remotely via telephone, email and through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

We are open for business and accepting new clients. We will be serving our current clients diligently during the Covid-19 situation.

Rowe Law Offices, P.C.
Call today to schedule a free consultation
610-816-0935 866-232-1913

Study finds "deadbeat dad" stereotype misleading

Based on the results of a study that was recently published, some Pennsylvania fathers who are not paying the child support they should may be supporting their children in other ways. Furthermore, despite the common perception of divorced fathers as "deadbeat dads," roughly the same percentage of mothers and fathers who are required to pay child support fulfill those obligations.

According to one of the study's authors, some fathers feel that contributing to their children's lives by purchasing food, school supplies and other needed items is a way of bonding more effectively. The study found that of the more than 350 lower-income fathers it examined, nearly half contributed with these types of items. Around 28 percent gave cash directly to the mothers. Only about one-fourth of the fathers in total were paying recognized child support through the system.

The study found that even the 66 fathers in the study who contributed no cash support at all still gave in-kind support that amounted to an average of $63 per month. Researchers called for a child support system that better recognizes the way fathers bond with their children and the different ways in which they might offer support.

A parent who must negotiate child support may wish to consult an attorney. While there are state guidelines for calculating support, they are based in part on factors such as how many children an individual supports and a child's medical needs. Furthermore, child support amounts can be changed if a parent's circumstances change. A custodial parent who has been ordered to pay supports and who loses a job, has a child with a new partner or has some other material change in circumstances may wish to obtain the assistance of a family law attorney in petitioning the court for a modification of the order.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have Questions? Get A Free Case Review

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wyomissing Office
1200 Broadcasting Road
Suite 101
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Toll Free: 866-232-1913
Phone: 570-362-6837
Phone: 610-478-7725
Wyomissing Law Office Map

Lancaster Office
8 N. Queen Street
Suite 1102
Lancaster, PA 17602

Phone: 717-382-8360
Lancaster Law Office Map

Allentown Office
1248 Hamilton Street #201
Allentown, PA 18102

Allentown Law Office Map

Berks or Montgomery counties or the Lehigh Valley: 610-816-0935 Lancaster or York counties: 717-382-8360 Schuylkill County: 570-362-6837 Toll Free: 866-232-1913