Close Window X

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering prospective and current clients the ability to meet with us digitally and remotely via telephone, email and through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

We are open for business and accepting new clients. We will be serving our current clients diligently during the Covid-19 situation.

Rowe Law Offices, P.C.
Call today to schedule a free consultation
610-816-0935 866-232-1913

What parents need to know about child support

Many Pennsylvania parents have concerns when paying or receiving child support. The paying parent fears being ordered to pay too much to the custodial parent while the recipient worries about late payments. People who are going through a divorce or working through child custody matters might like to know some more information about this topic.

The first step when seeking child support is to establish paternity, which is needed if this is not voluntarily acknowledged and the mother was unmarried at the time the child was born. Regardless of whether they are they payer or the recipient, parents will likely want to ensure that child support payments are handled through a local child support enforcement office.

When going through the proper channels, there is a record of the payments made. This prevents both parents from making false claims, as those who are making payments have proof of fulfilling their support obligations while the enforcement office can act to make sure the recipient is paid in a timely manner.

Getting a child support order can take time when going through the courts, and parents may want to figure out this and other matters themselves with the assistance of their respective family law attorneys when they are capable of negotiating an agreement. Even when there is a court order, unpredictable events can occur that make it necessary to ask for a modification. This could include an unexpected job loss or a medical emergency. It is important for those who have been ordered to make payments that, even if a modification is obtained and the amount is reduced, it is prospective only and does not have any effect on payments that are delinquent at the time of the modification.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have Questions? Get A Free Case Review

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wyomissing Office
1200 Broadcasting Road
Suite 101
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Phone: 610-816-0935
Wyomissing Law Office Map

Lancaster Office
8 N. Queen Street
Suite 1102
Lancaster, PA 17602

Phone: 717-382-8360
Lancaster Law Office Map

Allentown Office
1248 Hamilton Street #201
Allentown, PA 18102

Allentown Law Office Map

Berks or Montgomery counties or the Lehigh Valley: 610-816-0935 Lancaster or York counties: 717-382-8360 Schuylkill County: 570-362-6837 Toll Free: 866-232-1913