Rowe Law Offices, P.C.
Call us for a free initial consultation
610-816-0935 Local
866-232-1913 Toll Free

Court must approve child custody to make it enforceable

When Pennsylvania parents of young children go through a divorce, the family court will require a written parenting plan that describes the child custody schedule. People either reach terms for splitting the care of children through negotiation or litigation. Unmarried parents should also go through the process of establishing a court-approved child custody plan. After recognition by a court, the plan becomes a court order, which allows either parent to use the legal system to correct violations by the other party.

Any biological parent has the right to obtain a formal visitation or custody agreement. The principle that children benefit from the attention of both parents guides family courts, and a judge might only prevent access to children if evidence shows that the contact would harm them.

To create a custody agreement, both parents make decisions about who has the children and when. Other considerations such as schooling, health care and religion should be addressed as well within the document. If the parents can agree on terms, then they can submit the plan to the court. When disputes cannot be overcome privately, then one or both of the parents need to petition the court and request desired terms. A judge will structure the plan based largely on what would be best for the children.

A parent who wants legal advice while setting up a child custody plan could gain information from a family law attorney. Explanations of parental rights might suffice to help a person make decisions during negotiations with the other parent. In most cases, parents might be happier with a plan that is negotiated rather than having a judge make the determinations.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Get in touch

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Wyomissing Office
1200 Broadcasting Road
Suite 101
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Toll Free: 866-232-1913
Phone: 570-362-6837
Phone: 610-478-7725
Wyomissing Office Location

Lancaster Office
8 N. Queen Street
Suite 1102
Lancaster, PA 17602

Toll Free: 866-232-1913
Phone: 717-207-8375
Lancaster Office Location

610-816-0935 Berks County 717-345-3208 Lancaster County 570-362-6837 Schuylkill County 866-232-1913 Toll Free
610-478-8365 Fax
BBB Accredited Business Facebook