Close Window X

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering prospective and current clients the ability to meet with us digitally and remotely via telephone, email and through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

We are open for business and accepting new clients. We will be serving our current clients diligently during the Covid-19 situation.

Rowe Law Offices, P.C.
Call today to schedule a free consultation
610-816-0935 866-232-1913

Past-due child support after reaching majority age

Though specifics vary from case to case, in Pennsylvania most child support court orders require payments until the child reaches 18 years of age. If all of the payments are made, the case is typically closed. Where there is back support owed, however, the custodial parent may be able to collect it even after the child turns 18.

Unpaid child support debt does not simply vanish on the child's 18th birthday. Rather, late payments are in arrears, and payments must continue until the balance has been paid in full. Law enforcement agencies have the power to revoke or withhold passports and driver's licenses from those who owe child support. Officials can garnish wages, lien real or personal property or seize tax refund checks. Delinquent parents may be sentenced to time in jail for not making support payments.

Some courts may make changes to a support order after the child turns 18 because the obligations of the custodial parent are theoretically lessened at that time. Support orders are also dismissed in some cases where the child is emancipated. The rulings in any particular case are dependent on its specific facts. The general rule, though, is that arrears must be paid before the support order is dismissed.

In a case where child support is owed and the child is over the age of 18, it is important to speak to an attorney to ensure rights are not lost by the tolling of a statute of limitations, as parents who are owed past-due child support may have a specified amount of time to enforce their rights. An attorney with experience in family law may be able to help by bringing an action in court to collect the amounts that are in arrears.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have Questions? Get A Free Case Review

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wyomissing Office
1200 Broadcasting Road
Suite 101
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Toll Free: 866-232-1913
Phone: 570-362-6837
Phone: 610-478-7725
Wyomissing Law Office Map

Lancaster Office
8 N. Queen Street
Suite 1102
Lancaster, PA 17602

Phone: 717-382-8360
Lancaster Law Office Map

Allentown Office
1248 Hamilton Street #201
Allentown, PA 18102

Allentown Law Office Map

Berks or Montgomery counties or the Lehigh Valley: 610-816-0935 Lancaster or York counties: 717-382-8360 Schuylkill County: 570-362-6837 Toll Free: 866-232-1913