Close Window X
Rowe Law Offices, P.C.
Call today to schedule a free consultation
610-816-0935 866-232-1913

How to alter a child support order

Parents in Pennsylvania are typically required to support their children until they reach the age of majority. In the event of a divorce, the noncustodial parent may be required to make child support payments to the custodial parent. However, it is possible for a custodial parent to either ask that support be terminated or return payments to the noncustodial parent.

It should be noted that those who are on government assistance may not be able to put a stop to child support payments. However, payments may stop if the parents of a child get back together as there would be no reason to continue them. In the event that a parent does ask a judge to terminate or suspend child support payments, that judge may try to talk that parent out making such a decision.

This is because providing financial support is in the best interest of the child. Therefore, it may be necessary for those who no longer want it to defend their decision in court. In the event that either parent's financial situation has changed, it may be possible to ask the court for a modification to a current support order. In such a scenario, a judge will review financial and other information before issuing a ruling.

There are many penalties that an individual may be subject to for failure to make child support payments. These penalties may apply even if a parent may not be able to afford his or her support obligations. An attorney may help an individual obtain a child support modification order. However, even if a modification is granted, it may not erase any back support that may be owed. This may be true even if the other parent does not pursue those back payments.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have Questions? Get A Free Case Review

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wyomissing Office
1200 Broadcasting Road
Suite 101
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Phone: 610-816-0935
Wyomissing Law Office Map

Lancaster Office
8 N. Queen Street
Suite 1102
Lancaster, PA 17602

Phone: 717-382-8360
Lancaster Law Office Map

Allentown Office
1248 Hamilton Street #201
Allentown, PA 18102

Allentown Law Office Map

Berks or Montgomery counties or the Lehigh Valley: 610-816-0935 Lancaster or York counties: 717-382-8360 Schuylkill County: 570-362-6837 Toll Free: 866-232-1913