Rowe Law Offices, P.C.
Call us for a free initial consultation
610-816-0935 Local
866-232-1913 Toll Free

Requesting back child support

When parents in Pennsylvania separate before they divorce, there may be a period of time during which there is no set child-support agreement. While many separated noncustodial parents contribute financially to the support of their children, there are situations in which this does not happen. As a result, the parent with primary physical custody may ask the court to order retroactive financial contributions, also known as "back child support".

Parents considering requesting back child support should be aware that the other parent may not be legally obligated to make these payments. Instead, judges may examine the situation and make decisions based on the specifics of the case.

A parent who believes that he or she is entitled to back support payments should keep careful records of a child's financial needs, as well as document evidence that support was requested, but that these requests were ignored or refused. For example, the custodial parent may want to download copies of emails in which support for the children was discussed and requested.

Noncustodial parents who are likewise concerned about being required to make retroactive child support payments should also keep records of any money spent in support of their children. These records will be important in a court case or during negotiations.

Parents who are considering divorce or separation may benefit from speaking with an experienced family law attorney. The lawyer may be able to review the client's case and make recommendations regarding financial support, child custody and other applicable issues. In addition, families who are concerned about their current child support agreement may be able to work with a lawyer to obtain a modification of the original order.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Get in touch

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Wyomissing Office
1200 Broadcasting Road
Suite 101
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Toll Free: 866-232-1913
Phone: 570-362-6837
Phone: 610-478-7725
Wyomissing Office Location

Lancaster Office
8 N. Queen Street
Suite 1102
Lancaster, PA 17602

Toll Free: 866-232-1913
Phone: 717-207-8375
Lancaster Office Location

610-816-0935 Berks County 717-345-3208 Lancaster County 570-362-6837 Schuylkill County 866-232-1913 Toll Free
610-478-8365 Fax
BBB Accredited Business Facebook