Close Window X

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering prospective and current clients the ability to meet with us digitally and remotely via telephone, email and through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

We are open for business and accepting new clients. We will be serving our current clients diligently during the Covid-19 situation.

Rowe Law Offices, P.C.
Call today to schedule a free consultation
610-816-0935 866-232-1913

How child support is collected and disbursed

Pennsylvania parents may wonder how they might receive their child support payments once they have obtained a child support order. Every state has a system that is established for collecting and disbursing child support payments.

When a parent has a child support order under Title IV-D of the Social Security Act, the state is mandated to collect the child support payment directly and then to disburse it. If the custodial parent receives Temporary Aid for Needy Families, then the state is allowed to reimburse itself and the federal government for the TANF amount up to the full child support payment. States must also collect and disburse child support for custodial parents who do not have Title IV-D cases but who do have child support orders that include income withholding orders.

For non-TANF child support cases, the state's central child support unit collects the payments by garnishing the amounts directly from the noncustodial parents' paychecks. The amounts are then sent to the custodial parents from the state. Having central child support units established in each state is meant to help make certain that parents who are ordered to pay child support keep current with their payments so that their children will receive the financial support that they need.

Even though Pennsylvania has a central unit that is responsible for collecting and disbursing child support, some parents still fail to comply with their orders. In some cases, this is because they do not have income-withholding orders. In others, the parents may have left their jobs without updating their employment information with the state. When parents are delinquent or fail to pay child support, they may face multiple penalties. Custodial parents who are owed back child support might want to talk to a family law attorney to see what methods of enforcement might be available.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have Questions? Get A Free Case Review

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wyomissing Office
1200 Broadcasting Road
Suite 101
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Toll Free: 866-232-1913
Phone: 570-362-6837
Phone: 610-478-7725
Wyomissing Law Office Map

Lancaster Office
8 N. Queen Street
Suite 1102
Lancaster, PA 17602

Phone: 717-382-8360
Lancaster Law Office Map

Allentown Office
1248 Hamilton Street #201
Allentown, PA 18102

Allentown Law Office Map

Berks or Montgomery counties or the Lehigh Valley: 610-816-0935 Lancaster or York counties: 717-382-8360 Schuylkill County: 570-362-6837 Toll Free: 866-232-1913