Close Window X

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering prospective and current clients the ability to meet with us digitally and remotely via telephone, email and through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

We are open for business and accepting new clients. We will be serving our current clients diligently during the Covid-19 situation.

Rowe Law Offices, P.C.
Call today to schedule a free consultation
610-816-0935 866-232-1913

How a court determines child custody

Parents in Pennsylvania who get a divorce must make a decision about child custody. If they are unable to do so, then the case will go to court, where the judge will make a decision. A judge often grants physical custody of the child to the parent that was the primary caregiver.

The court takes several factors into account when determining which parent was the primary caregiver. These may include considering who was responsible for the child's daily activities, such as bathing, dressing, and feeding; dealing with his or her medical care; and communicating with the teachers. The court also may consider how much time each parent spends on leisure activities with the child.

In some situations, the parents may share these responsibilities. The court will then make a decision based on what is best for the child. When making a determination, the court will consider the health of the parents, the child's adjustment to the community and school, the stability of the home environment, and the child's relationship to others in the household. The court also may take the child's preferences into account depending on his or her age. Any evidence of abuse or addiction will affect the decision.

Usually, it is the aim of a court to ensure that a child is able to build a relationship with both parents after a divorce. However, an abusive or addicted parent may affect a child's well-being, and in these cases, a court may limit or even prevent a parent's access to a child. For example, the parent may only be allowed visitation when supervised by a social worker. Someone with substance abuse problems may need to successfully complete a treatment program to gain more access to his or her child.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have Questions? Get A Free Case Review

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wyomissing Office
1200 Broadcasting Road
Suite 101
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Toll Free: 866-232-1913
Phone: 570-362-6837
Phone: 610-478-7725
Wyomissing Law Office Map

Lancaster Office
8 N. Queen Street
Suite 1102
Lancaster, PA 17602

Phone: 717-382-8360
Lancaster Law Office Map

Allentown Office
1248 Hamilton Street #201
Allentown, PA 18102

Allentown Law Office Map

Berks or Montgomery counties or the Lehigh Valley: 610-816-0935 Lancaster or York counties: 717-382-8360 Schuylkill County: 570-362-6837 Toll Free: 866-232-1913