Rowe Law Offices, P.C.
Call us for a free initial consultation
610-816-0935 Local
866-232-1913 Toll Free

Do you need to increase or decrease your child support payments?

Your life doesn't stay the same, so why should your child support orders stay the same? The truth is that Pennsylvania parents will have ups and downs in their lives -- and sometimes those ups and downs will affect their income.

Fortunately, family law courts in our state recognize that -- due to circumstances entirely out of your control -- you won't always be earning the same amount. As such, if you suffer a significant change in life circumstances, you might be able to get a temporary or permanent modification to your child support payments.

It doesn't matter if you're the payer or the recipient

Regardless of whether you're the payer of child support or the recipient, you can apply for a change in child support. Take a look at these example scenarios: You're suffering from a medical condition and cannot work: Imagine, for example, that you are paying a large amount in child support each month. Your payments are $3,000, and for the last seven years, your income has been sufficient to pay your monthly obligations on time, every time. However, you recently suffered severe injuries in a car accident. According to your doctor, you'll be down-and-out -- and unable to earn an income -- for at least three months. You might be able to qualify for a temporary child support modification to help you get through this financial rough patch.

Your child's expenses have increased significantly: Imagine you're the recipient of child support and that amount you've received is perfect to help you make financial ends meet. However, your son was recently diagnosed with a health condition that requires you to pay an exorbitant amount of money in doctors' bills. Or, maybe the price of your child's education or other living expenses have increased significantly. You might be able to apply for a child support modification to get more money to pay for your child's needs.

Carefully plan your child support modification request

It's vital that you act as soon as possible when a significant change in circumstances requires a child support modification. This will ensure that you do not suffer serious financial problems. However, you'll also want to plan your child support modification request carefully and include all the necessary supporting documentation in order to strategically argue your case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Get in touch

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Wyomissing Office
1200 Broadcasting Road
Suite 101
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Toll Free: 866-232-1913
Phone: 570-362-6837
Phone: 610-478-7725
Wyomissing Office Location

Lancaster Office
8 N. Queen Street
Suite 1102
Lancaster, PA 17602

Toll Free: 866-232-1913
Phone: 717-207-8375
Lancaster Office Location

610-816-0935 Berks County 717-207-8375 Lancaster County 570-362-6837 Schuylkill County 866-232-1913 Toll Free
610-478-8365 Fax
BBB Accredited Business Facebook