Close Window X

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering prospective and current clients the ability to meet with us digitally and remotely via telephone, email and through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

We are open for business and accepting new clients. We will be serving our current clients diligently during the Covid-19 situation.

Rowe Law Offices, P.C.
Call today to schedule a free consultation
610-816-0935 866-232-1913

Custodial interference threatens parent-child bond

For many divorced or separated parents in Berks County, custodial interference may represent their greatest fear as their former partner attempts to drive a wedge between parent and child. When a child is kept from one of their parents due to a dispute between the adults and absent a situation of abuse or neglect, it can have serious consequences for the child's physical and psychological well-being. This is one reason why a systematic, ongoing attempt to undermine a parent's custodial relationship with their child can rise to the level of a criminal offense in some cases.

The term custodial interference refers to an attempt to cut off the parent-child relationship with the other parent by taking the child during the other parent's custody time, refusing to return the child to the other parent, inciting the child to demand a change in the custody schedule or even disappearing with the child. It usually comes as part of an ongoing custody dispute and does not refer to the normal scheduling difficulties and conflicts that can accompany co-parenting. Instead, this is an attempt to separate the child from the other parent.

When a parent refuses to abide by a court-ordered custody agreement, this can even be criminal behavior. In order to take action against custodial interference, having an official child custody order is one of the most important steps a parent can take to protect themselves as well as their children.

For parents faced with attempts to cut off their time with their children, action can be taken. A family law attorney may go to court to establish a child custody order if none exists or to ensure that the existing order is implemented or changed. A lawyer might also seek to modify the custody agreement in order to protect the parent-child relationship and the best interests of the children.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have Questions? Get A Free Case Review

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wyomissing Office
1200 Broadcasting Road
Suite 101
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Toll Free: 866-232-1913
Phone: 570-362-6837
Phone: 610-478-7725
Wyomissing Law Office Map

Lancaster Office
8 N. Queen Street
Suite 1102
Lancaster, PA 17602

Phone: 717-382-8360
Lancaster Law Office Map

Allentown Office
1248 Hamilton Street #201
Allentown, PA 18102

Allentown Law Office Map

Berks or Montgomery counties or the Lehigh Valley: 610-816-0935 Lancaster or York counties: 717-382-8360 Schuylkill County: 570-362-6837 Toll Free: 866-232-1913