Close Window X

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering prospective and current clients the ability to meet with us digitally and remotely via telephone, email and through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

We are open for business and accepting new clients. We will be serving our current clients diligently during the Covid-19 situation.

Rowe Law Offices, P.C.
Call today to schedule a free consultation
610-816-0935 866-232-1913

About paternity

There is more than one reason parents in Pennsylvania should official establish the paternity of their child. In addition to having the right to have a relationship with their father, children can also receive a number of benefits, such as being able to receive child support, Social Security, inheritances or veterans benefits. The children will also receive valuable information about their father's genetic history, which can make them aware about any medical issues they may have inherited.

Paternity can be established either voluntarily or involuntarily. Fathers who voluntarily acknowledge that they are the father of a child agree to assume responsibility for the child and provide support until the child becomes a legal adult.

In order to legally establish paternity, the father can complete a Declaration of Paternity at the birth of the child. He may also file an affidavit of paternity with the court at any time before the child reaches their 18th birthday if he is not present at the birth of the child. If the affidavit has not been completed before the issuance of the birth certificate and the father wishes to have his name on the birth certificate, the certificate can be modified at a later time with the addition of the father's name.

In cases in which the paternity of the child has to be formally established without the cooperation of the father, the nearby Office of Child Support enforcement should be contacted. After the mother completes an affidavit that identifies the father, the father will be located by the office and contacted regarding the child.

A family law attorney may assist parents with resolving disputes regarding a wide range of child custody issues. Litigation may be used to obtain favorable settlement terms regarding physical custody, visitation rights, legal custody, relocation and child custody modification.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have Questions? Get A Free Case Review

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wyomissing Office
1200 Broadcasting Road
Suite 101
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Phone: 610-816-0935
Wyomissing Law Office Map

Lancaster Office
8 N. Queen Street
Suite 1102
Lancaster, PA 17602

Phone: 717-382-8360
Lancaster Law Office Map

Allentown Office
1248 Hamilton Street #201
Allentown, PA 18102

Allentown Law Office Map

Berks or Montgomery counties or the Lehigh Valley: 610-816-0935 Lancaster or York counties: 717-382-8360 Schuylkill County: 570-362-6837 Toll Free: 866-232-1913