Close Window X

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering prospective and current clients the ability to meet with us digitally and remotely via telephone, email and through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

We are open for business and accepting new clients. We will be serving our current clients diligently during the Covid-19 situation.

Rowe Law Offices, P.C.
Call today to schedule a free consultation
610-816-0935 866-232-1913

Considering remarriage and child support payments

People in Pennsylvania who go through a divorce may wonder about the impact that remarriage can have on child support. In many cases, people who remarry may seek to have more children in the future as part of their new marriage. In other cases, people marry other single parents and take on at least some of the financial responsibilities for raising their children. It can be particularly important for divorced parents to understand the impact that different scenarios can have on their child support entitlements and obligations.

In general, the custodial parent's remarriage is unlikely to affect the child support obligations of the non-custodial parent. Even if their new spouse is wealthier than the birth parents, the child is their responsibility, and the state is unlikely to change a child support order for this reason. In addition, some custodial parents may want their new spouse to legally adopt their child. However, this is unlikely unless the non-custodial parent has agreed to terminate their own financial rights.

For non-custodial parents, some of the same principles apply. A parent will not need to increase their support payments if they marry a new partner with a higher income; support is the responsibility of the birth parents, not step-parents. Non-custodial parents may also consider the impact of new children on their existing support payments. In general, the birth of additional children is not a reason to reduce support obligations.

However, there can be legitimate and important reasons to seek a modification to an existing child support order. If a non-custodial parent loses their job or faces a significant financial hardship, modifying the support order may help protect them from wage garnishment and other severe consequences. A family law attorney may consult with a divorced parent about the legal and financial implications of their changing circumstances.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have Questions? Get A Free Case Review

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wyomissing Office
1200 Broadcasting Road
Suite 101
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Toll Free: 866-232-1913
Phone: 570-362-6837
Phone: 610-478-7725
Wyomissing Law Office Map

Lancaster Office
8 N. Queen Street
Suite 1102
Lancaster, PA 17602

Phone: 717-382-8360
Lancaster Law Office Map

Allentown Office
1248 Hamilton Street #201
Allentown, PA 18102

Allentown Law Office Map

Berks or Montgomery counties or the Lehigh Valley: 610-816-0935 Lancaster or York counties: 717-382-8360 Schuylkill County: 570-362-6837 Toll Free: 866-232-1913