Close Window X

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering prospective and current clients the ability to meet with us digitally and remotely via telephone, email and through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

We are open for business and accepting new clients. We will be serving our current clients diligently during the Covid-19 situation.

Rowe Law Offices, P.C.
Call today to schedule a free consultation
610-816-0935 866-232-1913

Designation after divorce: account and policy beneficiaries

Surprisingly, someone may legally collect funds or inherit assets from a former spouse's estate as long as his or her name is still listed as the beneficiary. Pennsylvania couples who are separated, undergoing a divorce or already divorced may be interested to know that an updated will that indicates otherwise does not stop an ex-spouse from receiving assets as long as they are listed as the designated beneficiary.

If the divorce process has already been initiated, then an individual may have to wait until after the divorce has been finalized before he or she makes any changes regarding beneficiary designation for life insurance policies, bank and brokerage accounts, and other similar assets. Some individuals may wish to keep their ex-spouse as a beneficiary, and in these situations the spouse should still update the account or policy and re-designate their former spouse.

If an individual passes away and his or her account information was not updated, then some insurance companies allow a review of the individual's marital status and situation at the time of their death in order to give the benefits to a second beneficiary. State laws differ on how they handle situations in which an ex-spouse is still listed as a beneficiary, and some even allow a former spouse to collect these assets.

If a married couple has decided to divorce and are not sure where to begin with divorce proceedings or allocating assets and debts, consulting an attorney can be beneficial for a spouse. An attorney may be able to provide advice on how division of assets and debts between the married couple is handled and when to begin the process of updating and changing information on joint and shared accounts.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have Questions? Get A Free Case Review

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wyomissing Office
1200 Broadcasting Road
Suite 101
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Phone: 610-816-0935
Wyomissing Law Office Map

Lancaster Office
8 N. Queen Street
Suite 1102
Lancaster, PA 17602

Phone: 717-382-8360
Lancaster Law Office Map

Allentown Office
1248 Hamilton Street #201
Allentown, PA 18102

Allentown Law Office Map

Berks or Montgomery counties or the Lehigh Valley: 610-816-0935 Lancaster or York counties: 717-382-8360 Schuylkill County: 570-362-6837 Toll Free: 866-232-1913