PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering prospective and current clients the ability to meet with us digitally and remotely via telephone, email and through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.
We are open for business and accepting new clients. We will be serving our current clients diligently during the Covid-19 situation.

Ex-mistress files child support claim against Jose Reyes

We Serve Berks, Lancaster, York, Schuylkill And
Lebanon Counties And The Lehigh Valley

Ex-mistress files child support claim against Jose Reyes

On Behalf of | Mar 16, 2017 | Child Support |

Pennsylvania baseball fans may be interested to learn that an ex-mistress of Mets infielder Jose Reyes was seeking additional child support. Reyes has a 7-year-old daughter with the woman even though he has been married to his wife since 2008.

According to her lawyer, Reyes has not paid enough in child support. Under New York law, she is entitled to child support that amounts to 17 percent of Reyes’ income. However, the attorney also stated that the lawsuit was not necessarily about the money, but the fact that Reyes does not have a relationship with the child. Further, the child was not able to have a relationship with her three half-siblings.

Reyes was reportedly facing domestic abuse charges in late 2015, but his wife declined to further the case and the charges were ultimately dropped. The MLB, however, gave him a 52-game suspension and he was released by the Rockies. He eventually signed with the Mets. The next court date was scheduled for March 22, though it was likely that Reyes would not be there due to another commitment.

Raising a child is a costly endeavor. If the noncustodial parent is not paying enough child support, a family law attorney may file a lawsuit on behalf of the custodial parent. The attorney may request a modification to the original child support order and provide the court with both the custodial parent’s financial records and the noncustodial parent’s records. If it is found that the noncustodial parent has not been paying the appropriate amount of child support, the child support order may be changed.

Source: Sports Illustrated, “Jose Reyes sued by ex-mistress for child support“, March 14, 2017


FindLaw Network
Avvo 2014
Avvo Child Custody
Avvo Divorce