PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering prospective and current clients the ability to meet with us digitally and remotely via telephone, email and through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.
We are open for business and accepting new clients. We will be serving our current clients diligently during the Covid-19 situation.

How to alter a child support order

We Serve Berks, Lancaster, York, Schuylkill And
Lebanon Counties And The Lehigh Valley

How to alter a child support order

| Mar 22, 2017 | Child Support |

Parents in Pennsylvania are typically required to support their children until they reach the age of majority. In the event of a divorce, the noncustodial parent may be required to make child support payments to the custodial parent. However, it is possible for a custodial parent to either ask that support be terminated or return payments to the noncustodial parent.

It should be noted that those who are on government assistance may not be able to put a stop to child support payments. However, payments may stop if the parents of a child get back together as there would be no reason to continue them. In the event that a parent does ask a judge to terminate or suspend child support payments, that judge may try to talk that parent out making such a decision.

This is because providing financial support is in the best interest of the child. Therefore, it may be necessary for those who no longer want it to defend their decision in court. In the event that either parent’s financial situation has changed, it may be possible to ask the court for a modification to a current support order. In such a scenario, a judge will review financial and other information before issuing a ruling.

There are many penalties that an individual may be subject to for failure to make child support payments. These penalties may apply even if a parent may not be able to afford his or her support obligations. An attorney may help an individual obtain a child support modification order. However, even if a modification is granted, it may not erase any back support that may be owed. This may be true even if the other parent does not pursue those back payments.


FindLaw Network
Avvo 2014
Avvo Child Custody
Avvo Divorce