Close Window X

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering prospective and current clients the ability to meet with us digitally and remotely via telephone, email and through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

We are open for business and accepting new clients. We will be serving our current clients diligently during the Covid-19 situation.

Rowe Law Offices, P.C.
Call today to schedule a free consultation
610-816-0935 866-232-1913

Child support and dispute resolution processes

Pennsylvania parents who are getting a divorce and who have young children have options for their child support agreements besides going to court and having a judge decide. For example, they may want to enter into informal negotiations with the help of their attorneys. They could even have their attorneys conduct these negotiations for them.

Another possibility is a more formal set of negotiations using alternative dispute resolution processes. Two of these are mediation and collaborative law, and they bring parents into the process of conflict resolution. The idea with these methods is to put aside the more adversarial process of litigation and work together to reach a solution that satisfies all parties. Arbitration, like litigation, brings in a third party to hear both sides and reach a solution, but it may not be legally binding.

Once parents produce a written agreement using one of these methods, a judge reviews it. This involves making sure that it is fairly negotiated and that it does not violate Pennsylvania child support guidelines. The judge may ask parents questions about the agreement to make sure they both understand it. Once approved, it becomes a court order. This means that if one parent does not pay the agreed-upon support, the other parent can pursue it through legal means.

The parent who pays support has legal recourse as well. One who agrees to a certain amount but then has a drop in income is not necessarily obligated to continue paying the same amount. However, it is necessary for the parent to file a motion for a child support modification based on a change in financial circumstances. Attorneys representing clients who are in this type of a situation will note that even if the modification is granted, it will have no effect on any amounts that are past due.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have Questions? Get A Free Case Review

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wyomissing Office
1200 Broadcasting Road
Suite 101
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Toll Free: 866-232-1913
Phone: 570-362-6837
Phone: 610-478-7725
Wyomissing Law Office Map

Lancaster Office
8 N. Queen Street
Suite 1102
Lancaster, PA 17602

Phone: 717-382-8360
Lancaster Law Office Map

Allentown Office
1248 Hamilton Street #201
Allentown, PA 18102

Allentown Law Office Map

Berks or Montgomery counties or the Lehigh Valley: 610-816-0935 Lancaster or York counties: 717-382-8360 Schuylkill County: 570-362-6837 Toll Free: 866-232-1913