Close Window X

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering prospective and current clients the ability to meet with us digitally and remotely via telephone, email and through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

We are open for business and accepting new clients. We will be serving our current clients diligently during the Covid-19 situation.

Rowe Law Offices, P.C.
Call today to schedule a free consultation
610-816-0935 866-232-1913

How parents can resolve custody matters jointly

Pennsylvania estranged parents don't necessarily need to go to court to resolve their child custody issues. Instead, it may be possible to do so through informal negotiations or through alternate dispute resolution methods such as mediation or collaborative law. In many cases, child custody issues are resolved before it becomes necessary to ask a judge to make a ruling. In fact, parents may be able to resolve a child custody matter without the need for attorneys.

It is important to note that informal talks or other alternate methods generally work best if parents are willing to negotiate in good faith with each other. However, for those who are willing to work together, it may allow each person to take an active role in the talks. It may be necessary for parents to at least try to negotiate between themselves before a judge will agree to issue a ruling.

Once an agreement is reached, it is generally put into writing and included as part of the overall divorce settlement. This is generally true whether parents engage in private talks, use mediation or make use of collaborative law methods to settle a child custody matter. The agreement must typically be shown to a judge and approved by the court before it becomes official.

The best interests of the child are generally the top priority when a child custody ruling is made. This is typically true whether the parents resolve the matter on their own or if a judge makes the final determination. Parents who are in a dispute regarding visitation rights, custody rights or anything else related to raising their children may wish to speak with an attorney. An attorney may help an individual preserve his or her rights or review agreements negotiated outside of court before they become binding.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have Questions? Get A Free Case Review

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wyomissing Office
1200 Broadcasting Road
Suite 101
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Phone: 610-816-0935
Wyomissing Law Office Map

Lancaster Office
8 N. Queen Street
Suite 1102
Lancaster, PA 17602

Phone: 717-382-8360
Lancaster Law Office Map

Allentown Office
1248 Hamilton Street #201
Allentown, PA 18102

Allentown Law Office Map

Berks or Montgomery counties or the Lehigh Valley: 610-816-0935 Lancaster or York counties: 717-382-8360 Schuylkill County: 570-362-6837 Toll Free: 866-232-1913