25+ Years of trusted representation & superior results for clients. Nobody will fight harder than us.

How to get along with the child’s other parent after a divorce

On Behalf of | Jan 11, 2017 | Child Custody |

A written parenting plan may be an effective way to help Pennsylvania parents remember to put their kids first after a divorce. It may help ensure that both of them take an active role in raising their children. When one decides to let the other raise a child on his or her own, it could lead to resentment on the part of the child both now and in the future.

Co-parenting may set a good example for the children as they learn how adults work together for a common goal in spite of their differences. One way to ensure that both parents work together effectively is to learn how to communicate. It may be necessary to establish rules about when and how parents talk with each other. However, it should be mandatory to include a clause that neither parent talks poorly about each other in front of a child.

Additionally, children are not to be used as messengers or otherwise put in the middle of a dispute between the parents. This rule should extend to grandparents and other extended family members as well. Instead, it is suggested that adults talk to friends or a therapist if they have to vent or otherwise let their feelings be known.

Child custody may be one of the toughest issues to resolve in a divorce. Therefore, it may be worthwhile for parents to consult with an attorney about such matters. It may be possible for an attorney to help a parent obtain maximum parental rights or even obtain full custody of a child. Legal counsel may also help a parent obtain a child support order or compel the noncustodial parent to comply with any order that may already exist as such payments are in the best interest of the child.