25+ Years of trusted representation & superior results for clients. Nobody will fight harder than us.

Relocating with your child after divorce is possible

On Behalf of | Jul 11, 2017 | Divorce |

Depending on your child custody arrangements, it may be difficult to move and still see your child. If you have primary custody, you may not be allowed to move because it would make it difficult for the other parent to see your child.

Life changes, though, and a move might be necessary. What happens if you are offered a job or need to move for more familial support? Fortunately, there are a few options for people in your situation.

1. Ask the court for a child custody modification allowing for a move

It might be possible to ask for a modification of child custody that would allow you to move out of state or out of the area with your child. For example, you might have an arrangement where your child lives with you during the school year and with his or her father or mother during the summer. During that time, you may need to allow your child to visit his or her other parent during school breaks and holidays. Of course, this is only one possible way to solve the problem of moving away.

2. Ask for permission based on the well-being of your child

Maybe you want to move to be closer to your family, or perhaps you decided to go back to school or to take a promotion at work. If the move will benefit your child, you can ask the court for permission to move. The court will take into consideration the impact the move will have on your child’s life before making a decision.

3. Work out a plan with technology

If you are granted the right to move, you may be able to help keep up on visitation dates by using technology. This may make the move more agreeable to your ex, especially if it means that he or she will see your child over the web or be able to participate in activities with him or her by playing video games together or talking on the phone.

The court has the final say in if a move is allowable. Prepare to defend your request.