Close Window X

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering prospective and current clients the ability to meet with us digitally and remotely via telephone, email and through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

We are open for business and accepting new clients. We will be serving our current clients diligently during the Covid-19 situation.

Rowe Law Offices, P.C.
Call today to schedule a free consultation
610-816-0935 866-232-1913

Mel Gibson's ex faces lawsuit after child support dispute

Some people in Pennsylvania may remember actor Mel Gibson's disputes with his ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva. Grigorieva rejected an offered $15 million deal from Gibson but accepted a settlement of $750,000 in 2011. She subsequently sued her lawyers, saying she was coerced into making a bad deal in her custody disagreement with Gibson, but she later dropped the lawsuit.

In 2015, she filed for bankruptcy. She hired a forensic accounting firm in order to get increased child support from Gibson, and as a result, his payments went up to $22,500 per month for their daughter. However, she still owes the firm more than $108,000. Gibson has already paid most of the rest.

Although Grigorieva's bankruptcy filing means she has 18 months to pay creditors, the accounting firm says she must pay in full immediately since she hired them after the bankruptcy. The company has filed a lawsuit against her.

It is not uncommon for couples who are divorced or who were never married to have disputes about child custody and support. The advantage of a formal child custody and support agreement is that both parents have legal recourse if the other parent does not follow the agreement. For example, one parent may fall behind on child support, and the other parent may stop the child's visitation with that parent as a result. The court system can help the parent who is owed support collect that support, but it can also help the other parent keep access to the child. Although there are a number of penalties a court may impose to compel a parent to pay child support, keeping the child away from the parent is not one of them. A parent who is unable to pay support can ask the court for a modification.

Source: Page Six, "Mel Gibson's ex sued for $108K over child support fight", Jessica Sager, Dec. 28, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have Questions? Get A Free Case Review

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wyomissing Office
1200 Broadcasting Road
Suite 101
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Toll Free: 866-232-1913
Phone: 570-362-6837
Phone: 610-478-7725
Wyomissing Law Office Map

Lancaster Office
8 N. Queen Street
Suite 1102
Lancaster, PA 17602

Phone: 717-382-8360
Lancaster Law Office Map

Allentown Office
1248 Hamilton Street #201
Allentown, PA 18102

Allentown Law Office Map

Berks or Montgomery counties or the Lehigh Valley: 610-816-0935 Lancaster or York counties: 717-382-8360 Schuylkill County: 570-362-6837 Toll Free: 866-232-1913