Close Window X

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering prospective and current clients the ability to meet with us digitally and remotely via telephone, email and through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

We are open for business and accepting new clients. We will be serving our current clients diligently during the Covid-19 situation.

Rowe Law Offices, P.C.
Call today to schedule a free consultation
610-816-0935 866-232-1913

How to terminate child support orders in Pennsylvania

Noncustodial parents are generally required to pay child support to help custodial parents raise a child. However, it is possible that a parent who is receiving support can request that those payments be stopped. This generally occurs when parents choose to get back together after a separation or divorce. If the parents are back together, there is no reason to mandate a certain level of support.

If the parent who is paying child support experiences a change in circumstances, that parent could choose to ask to modify an existing order. In some cases, the custodial parent could agree to stop receiving payments altogether in an effort to help that person. Conversely, the custodial parent could find him or herself coming into an inheritance or otherwise having more money at his or her disposal. This could result in that parent asking to put an end to support payments.

It is important to note that a custodial parent is not obligated to voluntarily ask to terminate a support order. It is also worth mentioning that a parent who receives government aid cannot ask to put an end to a support order. Individuals who receive support could choose to return the payments to a noncustodial parent if that person is experiencing financial issues. Finally, a court could reject such a request if ending support is not in the child's best interest.

When making a child support order, a court will often look to meet the best interests of the child. In addition to making an order, courts generally take whatever steps are necessary to enforce it. This could mean that those who fail to make payments could face penalties such as jail time or having their wages garnished. In some cases, tax refunds or other benefits will be seized.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Have Questions? Get A Free Case Review

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wyomissing Office
1200 Broadcasting Road
Suite 101
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Toll Free: 866-232-1913
Phone: 570-362-6837
Phone: 610-478-7725
Wyomissing Law Office Map

Lancaster Office
8 N. Queen Street
Suite 1102
Lancaster, PA 17602

Phone: 717-382-8360
Lancaster Law Office Map

Allentown Office
1248 Hamilton Street #201
Allentown, PA 18102

Allentown Law Office Map

Berks or Montgomery counties or the Lehigh Valley: 610-816-0935 Lancaster or York counties: 717-382-8360 Schuylkill County: 570-362-6837 Toll Free: 866-232-1913