Child Custody Disputes Involving Same-Sex Couples

Many lesbian and gay couples choose to have children through adoption or biologically through assisted fertilization. Unfortunately, same-sex parents often face hurdles when it comes to issues, such as child custody, visitation and child support, if the relationship breaks up.

At Rowe Law Offices, P.C., our attorneys offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case if you are involved in a child custody dispute. Our lawyers assist LGBT couples in a wide range of legal issues and concerns, including estate planning and property division. From our offices in Wyomissing and Lancaster, we represent LGBT families in Berks, Lancaster and Schuylkill counties in Pennsylvania.

What Rights Do Same-Sex Parents Have?

In Pennsylvania, second-parent adoptions by a person of the same sex have been legal since 2002. As an adoptive parent, you have the same rights with regard to child custody and visitation as a biological parent who adopts.

Same-sex couples may have children through a prior heterosexual relationship or assisted methods such as in vitro fertilization. If the relationship breaks up, however, the nonbiological parent may have difficultly establishing child custody and visitation rights. The laws that apply to same-sex couples in Pennsylvania are complex and cannot be easily addressed in a few words. As a result, it is important to seek legal advice if you choose to have children, and if your relationship breaks up.

Contact Our Pennsylvania Same-Sex Child Custody And Adoption Lawyers

To learn more about child custody disputes involving same-sex couples, call 610-816-0935 (Berks County), 717-345-3208 (Lancaster County), 570-362-6837 (Schuylkill County) or 866-232-1913, or send us an email.