How To Prepare For A Divorce
For almost every couple, the decision to divorce is a difficult one. It tends to follow a long period of deliberation and evaluation, and it’s both emotionally and financially challenging. At Rowe Law Offices, P.C., we understand the anxiety that comes with a possible divorce.
From our offices in Wyomissing and Lancaster, we have helped spouses plan and prepare for divorces. But even before you approach an attorney, there are steps you can take on your own to be better situated for the future.
Taking The First Steps
Those who have committed to separating can take several precautions that could help them in the long term. If you are in such a situation, you may consider taking the initiative to:
- Collect important documents, including pay stubs, tax returns, bank account statements and other key financial documentation.
- Take photographs of expensive or irreplaceable items.
- Create an inventory of important assets and items. If applicable, write down serial numbers and other relevant information.
- Contact a friend who will be able to provide both emotional and material support, if necessary.
- Be financially prepared. A divorce will have shocking effects on both parties’ finances. Make sure you’re prepared for what the future will hold.
Divorces are complicated, and this list is by no means exhaustive. Nevertheless, being prepared can save you both money and stress in the long term.
Hitting The Ground Running
Despite taking precautions, the smartest move for those who are considering a divorce is contacting a knowledgeable lawyer. At our firm, we emphasize planning for the future.
Our goal is to get the best outcome for the most reasonable cost.
We encourage clients to evaluate every aspect of the divorce proceeding and to plan smartly, without overspending on frivolous or unnecessary costs.