25+ Years of trusted representation & superior results for clients. Nobody will fight harder than us.

Helping Same-Sex Couples With Child Custody Disputes

Many lesbian and gay couples choose to have children through adoption or biologically through assisted fertilization. Unfortunately, same-sex parents often face hurdles when it comes to issues such as child custody, visitation and child support if the relationship breaks up.

At Rowe Law Offices, P.C., our attorneys offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case if you are involved in a child custody dispute. Our lawyers assist LGBTQ+ couples in a wide range of legal disputes and concerns, including estate planning and property division.

What Rights Do Same-Sex Parents Have?

In Pennsylvania, second-parent adoptions by a person of the same sex have been legal since 2002. As an adoptive parent, you have the same rights regarding child custody and visitation as a biological parent who adopts.

Same-sex couples may have children through a prior heterosexual relationship or assisted methods such as in vitro fertilization. If the relationship breaks up, however, the nonbiological parent may have difficultly establishing child custody and visitation rights. The laws that apply to same-sex couples in Pennsylvania are complex and cannot be easily addressed in a few words. As a result, it is important to seek legal advice if you choose to have children and if your relationship breaks up.

Free Consultation ~ No Obligation ~ Call Today

To learn more about child custody disputes involving same-sex couples, call 610-816-0935 or 866-232-1913, or send us an email.