25+ Years of trusted representation & superior results for clients. Nobody will fight harder than us.

Child Support Arrearages

The consequences of not paying child support can be severe in Pennsylvania. If you are behind on child support payments, or if your ex owes you support, it’s important to understand your options.

At Rowe Law Offices, P.C., our lawyers offer a free initial consultation to discuss child support issues. We represent both payers and payees of child support.

What Can I Do To Collect Past-Due Child Support?

If your ex is behind on child support payments, you can file a contempt action against him or her. If the judge finds that your ex has willfully violated the child support order, he or she may be subject to collection by withholding payments from pay or unemployment benefits, or interceptions of tax refunds.

In addition, your ex may be subject to sanctions such as driver’s license suspension, property liens, fines or jail. The court can also order your ex to pay your attorney fees.

There are certain things you shouldn’t do, even if your spouse is behind on child support:

  • Disparage your ex in front of your children for not paying support
  • Withhold visitation until your ex catches up on child support payments

If your child has reached age 18, past-due child support payments do not simply disappear. Find out more about what happens to past-due child support when the child reaches the majority age.

What If I Cannot Afford Child Support Payments?

If you cannot afford your current child support payments due to a change in your circumstances (such as job loss or illness), it’s important to seek a court-approved child support modification as soon as possible.

A verbal agreement with your spouse to reduce or delay payments is not enforceable, and your spouse could still demand full payment of the amount owed, including arrearages.

If you owe significant child support arrearages, our lawyers can prepare a defense based on the facts of your case.

Call Our Pennsylvania Child Support Arrearage Lawyers

To learn more about your options for child support arrearages, turn to the experienced family law attorneys at Rowe Law Offices, P.C. Call our Berks County office at 610-816-0935, call our Lancaster County office at 610-816-0935, call our Schuylkill County office at 717-382-8360, call us toll-free at 866-232-1913, or send us an email to schedule a free initial consultation.